Michelle's blog

October 26th, 2010

Luc Sante

Posted by michellemartins in Uncategorized

“Hey that sounds like something I have already read”. As I was reading Sante’s piece I realized that there were moments where I felt as though I had explored some of the ideas he is mentioning in different texts I had already read. For example, every time immigrants were mentioned I couldn’t help but think of Whitehead and his description of immigrants. Another similarity I found between Sante and Whitehead was that they both mentioned the dead. “When the dead are endlessly represented in monuments, images, memorials, and ceremonies, their vigor passes into these objects and events.” (x). This description reminded me of when Whitehead states, “The bones of their ancestors lie at the bottom among refrigerator doors and license plates. They cannot wave but currents stir their bones and perhaps that is a gesture toward kin.” (105). Certain lines in Sante also made me think of some themes that Whitman was portraying. When Sante says “The city was like this a century ago, and it remains so in the present”(xviii), this reminds me of how Whitman felt that all generations were connected. Another part of Sante’s text that stood out to me was his description of the city as a monster, “It is a city and it is also a creature, a mentality, a disease, a threat” (ix). This description of the city made me think of the way Whitehead begins his piece describing the city as food, something that she can take a piece of, “It’s over there, that striated island, cut up carved out and waiting. Pick up your favorite cuts and gorge.” (99). Both of these are very unique ways of depicting the city, and I definitely would have never thought of the city in these ways without the help from these authors.

8 Responses to ' Luc Sante '

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to ' Luc Sante '.

1.    A Davison said,

on October 26th, 2010 at 9:46 am

Isn’t it fun to notice–and think about–these connections among texts? One term for it is “intertextuality”: the way certain texts seem to talk to each other.

2.    michellemartins said,

on October 26th, 2010 at 9:58 am

I agree, it was exciting to be able to relate one text to another. Now when I read texts I always seem to think about all of the other texts that I have read and how they all seem to have some sort of connection.

3. on November 11th, 2015 at 1:16 pm

Κοντομηνάς

Michelle’s blog » Luc Sante

4. on February 2nd, 2016 at 6:42 pm

automobile transport

5.    cleaning jobs said,

on April 27th, 2016 at 5:17 am

cleaning jobs

Michelle's blog » Luc Sante

6. on June 4th, 2016 at 9:02 am

industrial cleaning company

Michelle's blog » Luc Sante

7.    Translado de auto said,

on August 12th, 2016 at 10:24 am

Translado de auto

Michelle's blog » Luc Sante

8.    kaos polos said,

on February 5th, 2018 at 11:08 pm

grosir kaos polos grades

Michelle

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

• Monthly

• Meta

• Subscribe to RSS feed
    • The latest comments to all posts in RSS
    • Subscribe to Atom feed
    • Powered by WordPress; state-of-the-art semantic personal publishing platform.
    • Firefox - Rediscover the web
  • Spam prevention powered by Akismet