Michelle's blog

September 4th, 2010

9/11 Memory

Posted by michellemartins in Uncategorized

It was just another normal day within our 4th grade classroom. Children sitting crossed legged around the numbered carpet. Our teacher began speaking, and we all listened. She explained what we would be doing that day in class. The clock struck half past eight. It was time to begin the day. We all made our way to our seats. Before you know it, the clock strikes nine. Ten more minutes and then the morning announcements would be heard. Nine fifteen comes around. No morning announcements had been made, yet our day continues on. The classroom is silent. A cell phone rings. My teacher grabs her cell phone, tells us she’ll be right back, and goes out into the hall. When she returns to the classroom there is a different vibe within the room.  Without saying a word, my teacher turns on the television. The image I saw when that television turned on will never be forgotten. There was a giant fire, and people running in all different directions. The looks on their faces said it all. Being the young, naïve, and overdramatic child that I was, I immediately thought that the world was coming to an end. It was hard to believe that something so horrible could happen somewhere so close to us.

During these moments, it seemed as if everyone suddenly understood each other. We were all in the same position As fourth graders we didn’t fully know everything but we all could agree that something wasn’t right, and that something horrible had just taken place.

Remembering that our teacher had left the room and returned to rush to go turn on the television without saying a word, we looked over at her to see if she was okay. She didn’t need to say a word for us to know how she felt. Her face said it all. She was in disbelief. When she finally spoke it was to another teacher who came rushing in and asked her “How is he?” How is he? We all thought to ourselves, who’s he? Is he okay?  Our teacher burst into tears. She finally responded, “He’s fine. He was so lucky, o gosh he was just so lucky.” She continued on to explain that her husband( finally we all knew who he was), was sent on a business trip to Delaware for a week and was supposed to return September 12th, so he was so fortunate to not be in the towers when tragedy had struck. After hearing this it made me wonder about if there were any other people I knew who may have been affected by this. Did anyone in my family know anyone? Was anyone in my family affected? I remembered that my dad was working in the city that day, was he okay? With all of these question running through my mind, I just remember wanting to get home as quickly as possible so I could go hug my mother and father. The clock struck nine forty five and finally an announcement. A voice that sounded so unfamiliar ran through the school. It was our principal, but she didn’t sound like the same cheerful, happy person that she was. In her serious tone she asked that all teachers and students report to the gymnasium.

In the gymnasium our principal explained that bad people had crashed an airplane into the world trade centers. I immediately thought to myself why would anyone do something like this? How could anyone do something like this? After talking to us, my principal got all the teachers together, and told them that we would spend the rest of the day in the gym just playing games. So we did as we were told, and remained in the gym and just played until it was time to go home. Those hours in the gym made me forget about everything that was happening. All I thought about was how lucky we were to be spending the whole day playing, and how this had to be the best day at school ever! This just goes to show you just how naïve and young we truly were. Once it was time to go home and once I actually got in my home reality struck again. I remembered and saw everything again. In my head I thought this definitely wasn’t the best day ever, in fact it was far from it.

Those images still remain embedded in my mind and will never be forgotten. I spent that night in my bed hoping that when I woke up in the morning I would awake realizing that the events from that day had all been part of a horrible nightmare and that none of it was actually true. Unfortunately as soon as I woke up the next morning i realized that what i wished was a nightmare was actually reality.

One Response to ' 9/11 Memory '

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to ' 9/11 Memory '.

1.    David Rand said,

on September 5th, 2010 at 10:13 pm

Wow, that’s a lot to take in. It was great how you were able to get into the mind of your younger, more childish self. I’m surprised that everyone stayed in school. I was in school in Florida, and almost all of my classmates were picked up by their parents because of the mass hysteria.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

• Monthly

• Meta

• Subscribe to RSS feed
    • The latest comments to all posts in RSS
    • Subscribe to Atom feed
    • Powered by WordPress; state-of-the-art semantic personal publishing platform.
    • Firefox - Rediscover the web
  • Spam prevention powered by Akismet